Otoplasty Post Op Care Instructions
1.Sleeping in an upright position for 1 week after surgery.
2. No driving for 1 week post surgery or until off narcotic pain medication completely, and can respond to an emergency.
3. Please take the medications as directed. Antibiotic medication is for 3 days, pain, nausea and Valium medication are taken as needed. Never on an empty stomach and always space out the medications.
4. Constipation is very common due to the pain medication and anesthesia, please use Colace over the counter or any laxative that has worked with you in the past. You may start taking something to help prevent constipation 2-3 days post surgery.
5. If you develop a rash or think you are having an allergic reaction to the medication please call our office immediately. Sometimes Benadryl will help.
6. No ocean water or pool water for 6 weeks post surgery or until the incision is fully healed.
7. No tanning or sun exposure to the incision until the your incision has healed completely.
8. Please do not put scar creams or ointments on the incision immediately after surgery, you may irritate the area or cause an allergic reaction.
9. Patients will wear a head dressing for 3 days. The head dressing will be removed on your first post op visit. The post op visit is normally 3 days post surgery.
10. You may expect to be swollen for a few weeks. This is why it will also take time to see the final results for the otoplasty surgery.
11. The ears may look pined back right after the head dressing removal. It takes time for the final shape.
12. You may start to shower after the head dressing has been removed. Please note that you will have some dry blood. When you shower, the water may seem tinted.
13. No active sports or running activity for at least 3 weeks.
14. Patients need to wear a head band at night time for 2 weeks after the head dressing comes off.
15. For Scar treatment, you can use prescription strength medication that helps prevent keloiding and redness or you may also use anything that has worked for you in the past. Scars will look their worst and angry looking closer to 2 months post surgery.
16. You may start using scar creams when the Dermabond has come off and when there is no more scabs on the incision line. That is usually at about 2-3 weeks post surgery.
17. If there is redness on the incision line or it feels tender, please call our office and send photos.
18. Incision lines and final results may take up to about a year.
19. Please keep in touch via email, and send photos, then continue to send photos at your 1 month, 2ndmonth, month, 6th month…etc.
20. Please call us with any concerns Mon-Friday 8:30am-5:30 pm Saturdays from 9:00am-12pm at 619- 466-8851.
21. If you would like to blog or write a testimonial of your experience in our office please see the following websites