Liposuction: Liposculpture Pre-op and Post-op Instructions
PRE-OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR LIPOSUCTION SURGERY
1. If you smoke, it would be very beneficial if you refrain from smoking at least one week prior to your surgery. This is to help your lungs and circulation be in their best condition for surgery and to aid in healing.
2. Please do not take any aspirin or ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Aleve) for 2 weeks preceding surgery. These substances can cause excessive bleeding. You may take any Tylenol products if necessary.
3. No diet pills or herbal supplements two weeks prior to surgery.
4. On the day of surgery, please do not wear wigs, hairpins, jewelry, false eyelashes, or contact lenses. Wear or bring loose-fitting clothing. It would be a good idea to bring a pillow to make your ride home more comfortable.
5. If you have long hair, please pull it away from your face with a band.
6. Please DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING after midnight the day before surgery.
7. Have prescriptions filled before your surgery.
8. Purchase your garment in our office prior to your surgery. Your garment will be available in the surgery center on the day of your surgery.
9. On your final shower before surgery, please use Hibiclense antibacterial wash.
10. If you develop any illnesses prior to your surgery, contact our office as soon as possible.
11. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to call Dr. Pousti at (619) 466-8851.
12. Post surgery, please report to Dr. Pousti the following:
• RISE IN TEMPERATURE ABOVE 100 DEGREES
• INJURY TO THE LIPO AREA
• SIGNS OF BLEEDING
POST-OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR LIPOSUCTION SURGERY
1. Please have someone drive you to the surgery center in the morning for surgery and be certain to have someone scheduled to take you home. Someone must be with you at all times for the initial 24 hours following your surgery.
2. Take the pain medication every three to four hours, if needed. Ideally, it should be taken with food to prevent nausea. Take the antibiotic every eight hours for 3-7 days. You are NOT allowed to drink alcohol while taking the medications.
It is also a good idea to record when medications are taken to avoid taking too much or not enough.
3. Upon leaving the surgery center, you may have small quantities of liquids as desired and tolerated. The following day you may progress to a soft diet. After the above, you may eat as desired. No alcoholic beverages are allowed for one week after surgery and especially while taking the medications.
4. You will have the garment on for several days. This helps protect and cushion the surgery and also helps to keep mild pressure on the suture lines. Please do not take garments off until your first follow up appointment. Do not wet the areas until garment is removed.
5. If you had liposuction of abdomen and thighs: Sitting on hard surfaces is not allowed. You may sit on a soft chair.
6. You should limit your social activities for several days following your surgery. Excessive exercise should be avoided, and no body contact sports are allowed until you are instructed otherwise.
7. Please report to Dr. Pousti any:
a) excessive pain
b) rise in temperature above 100 degrees
c) excessive bleeding