Facelift Post Op Care Instructions
1. Sleeping in an upright reclined position for 1 week after surgery. Please use a travel pillow to support your neck.. Patient have a head dressing placed after surgery. Its big and white, please be patient with it and do not remove. Head dressing is removed in the office.
2. No turning your neck down, left or right. Maintain your neck stable, this is very important to help protect incision sites and help minimize swelling.
3. No driving for 3 weeks post surgery or until off narcotic pain medication completely. Also no driving if you are not able to look over your shoulder due to recovery.
4. It’s normal to experience swelling and bruising for 2-4 weeks post surgery. Sometimes swelling may take longer to subside.
5. To help minimize your bruising and swelling patients may take arnica medication and the cost is$50. We do have this medication available in the office.
6. Please take the medications as directed. Antibiotic medication is for 3 days, pain, and nausea medication is taken as needed. Never on an empty stomach and always space out the medications.
7. If you develop a rash or think you are having an allergic reaction to the medication please call our office immediately. Sometimes Benadryl will help.
8. Constipation is very common due to the pain medication and anesthesia. Please use Colace (over the counter) or any stool softener that has worked with you in the past.
9. On your first post op visit the head dressing will be removed. Your first office visit is usually 2-3 days after surgery. When the dressing is removed sometimes doctor will apply a lighter dressing to help with swelling. The dressing is also good as a reminder to really take it easy.
10. Please bring a good scarf of big hat to wear after head dressing removal. This will help make u feel more comfortable when you leave the office. There will be some dry blood and swelling.
11. With the facelift surgery a drain is also used to help drain out any excess fluid. The drain is also removed when your dressing is removed.
12. Dr. Pousti sometimes uses sutures that need to be removed. Sutures are removed 7-10 days post surgery.
13. In some cases patients may have Staples that are hidden in the hair and hair line. If there are staples they are removed 10-14 days after surgery.
14. You may start to wash your face gently 1 week post surgery. Please note that you will have some dry blood so the water might seem tinted. Please use mild soap; please keep the area clean and dry at all times.
15. Patient may begin to shower after the second head dressing comes off, usually 7 days post surgery. Use a mild shampoo or baby shampoo. Please note that you will have some dry blood so the water might seem tinted.
16. Avoid any face creams and face makeup for 4 weeks or until the incisions are healed completely.
17. No ocean water, jacuzzi, or pool water for 12 weeks post surgery or until the incisions are fully healed.
18. No tanning or sun exposure to the incision until your incisions has healed completely.
19. Please do not apply scar creams to the incision immediately after surgery, you may irritate the area or cause an allergic reaction.
20. Itching is normal the first few weeks post surgery.
21. You may expect the area to be swollen for a few weeks. This is why it will also take time to see the final results for your surgery.
22. No strenuous activity, such as sports, running, dancing, etc for at least 4 weeks post surgery. We will follow up with each patient at post-surgical visits to give them their workout restraints.
23. Incision lines and final results may take up to about a year. Sometimes sutures take time to dissolve, and sometimes you may have them reach the surface.
25. Please come in for your follow ups and if you are coming from out of town, please send us photos closer to 4 weeks post surgery.
26. Please call us with any concerns Mon-Friday 8:30am-5:30 pm at 619- 466-8851 or email us at email@example.com. Please know that calling may ensure a faster response.
27. If you would like to blog or write a testimonial of your experience in our office please see the following websites