Custom Implant Post Op Care Instructions
1. No driving for 3-5 weeks post surgery or until off narcotic pain medication completely and able to react to an emergency.
2. Sleeping in an upright reclined position for 1-2 weeks.
3. No reaching out or above for at least 6-8 weeks.
4. Please take the medications as directed. Antibiotic medication (if prescribed) is taken for 3 days or until the drains are removed. Pain, nausea, and muscle relaxant medication are taken as needed. Never take medication on an empty stomach and always space out the medications by an hour.
5. Constipation is very common due to the pain medication and anesthesia. Please use Colace (over the counter) or any stool softener that has worked with you in the past.
6. If you develop a rash or think you are having an allergic reaction to the medication please call our office immediately. Sometimes Benadryl will help.
7. No upper body exercising for 3-6 months post surgery.
8. No showers for weeks post surgery or until drains are removed. No ocean water, jacuzzi, or pool water for 8 weeks post surgery or until the incision is fully healed.
9. No tanning or sun exposure to the incision until the incision has healed completely.
10. Please do not put scar creams or ointments on the incision immediately after surgery, you may irritate the area or cause an allergic reaction.
11. With this procedure you will have 1-2 drains under the incision site. Drains are removed when ready. Usually the drainage out put needs to be less the 20 cc within a 24hr period.
12. Drains are ready at about 3-6 weeks post surgery. Please be patient during this process.
13. To make sure there is no Seroma after drain removal, please come in for your follow up appointments to be examined by doctor. Signs of a Seroma “fluid production” are palpable pocket of fluid, dizziness, feeling light headed, abnormal temperature, fever and chills.
14. It’s very normal to have some drainage or seepage from the incision line during the healing period, may look a little pink. Area may be sensitive to the touch.
15. Patients need to wear the compression Vest for 1month post surgery. On your pre-op date the office staff will help you order the proper compression Vest needed for your procedure.
16. Please do not remove your Vest garment after the surgery. The office staff will help you remove the garment on your first post op visit.
17. We will remove the Vest for you 4-7 days after your surgery in the office. Once the garment is removed you will be able to put it in the washer and dryer. Please wear your compression Vest 24/7 for 1 month and only remove it when necessary.
18. Remember to move your feet back and fourth for 1 week post surgery to help with circulation.
19. Remember to do the deep breathing exercises for 1 week post surgery. Sometimes you may feel a lot of pressure of the chest area due to the recovery. Make sure you are deep breathing please.
20. Chest area may feel numb for a while, sometimes may take time to have full skin sensation. Its normal to feel burning, sharp shooting pain and soreness during the recovery.
21. To help minimize your bruising and swelling patients may take arnica medication called SinEcch and the cost is$50. We do have this medication available in the office
22. You may expect to be swollen. Bruising and swelling will travel south. With Custom Implants surgery, please know that sometimes you may experience significant swelling of the lower extremities. Its normal for this to happen, it takes days for the swelling to subside
23. Patients may start applying scar creams to the incisions after 3-6 weeks if the incision line if it looks good and there are no open wounds or scabs.
24. For Scar treatment most patients will use scar ointment, which you may get from our office.
25. Please call the office if you have excessive pain, excessive bleeding, if drains are not working, drainage from the drains looks cloudy or a rise in temperature above 100 degrees.
26. Incision lines and final results may take up to about a year.
27. Please send photos to us at your 1 month, 3-6 months and 1 yr post surgery, if you are coming from out of town .
28. Please call us with any concerns Mon-Friday 8:30am-5:30 pm at 619- 466-8851 or email us at email@example.com. Please know that calling may ensure a faster response.
29. If you would like to blog or write a testimonial of your experience in our office please see the following websites